In the MYP at ISU, students have opportunities to become familiar with and participate in both visual and performing arts. The arts at ISU are an excellent way for students to explore and express themselves. The arts are also crucial for developing creative thinking and problem solving skills that will serve our students far beyond their years at ISU. Our aim is to develop a deeper understanding and appreciation of the arts by encouraging involvement in the process of making art and using various art forms to communicate ideas creatively.
Students are brought into contact with the art forms and aesthetic values of other cultures as well as their own. They are also encouraged to identify particular creative abilities and to master techniques appropriate to that form of expression. In Grades 6 – 10 all students have art, drama and music.
The Arts programs at ISU teach students to:
- Organize learning around the creative cycle—a dynamic, ongoing process of sensing, planning, creating and evaluating art, and one in which all the senses are involved
- Use their creative energy, improve their communication skills, interact and reflect
- Develop as artists—who are able to assess the level of skill and target the areas that need development
- Appreciate and critically access the creations of the masters whose works have proved to be of enduring worth.
Whether in the spotlight or the wings, behind a microphone or wielding a paintbrush, there is something for everyone in the Fine Arts at ISU.
Annual performance events include exhibitions, productions, music concerts, and multicultural celebrations. ISU is proud of a tradition of excellence and an outstanding reputation in the Arts. Whatever the discipline of choice, the experience is certain to be unique and enriching for every student who chooses to become part of an Arts event at ISU. MYP arts courses are assessed against four criteria, each with a maximum achievement level of eight.
MYP Arts assessment criteria:
- Criterion A: Knowing and understanding
- Criterion B: Developing skills
- Criterion C: Thinking creatively
- Criterion D: Responding